Saturday, February 1, 2014

Why less=more

Has your luggage ever been over weight? Do you need some ways to safe space in your closet or carry-on? Do you want to make the most out of your clothes? Making multiple outfits out of a few pieces can be beneficial especially when traveling. From 6 basic clothing essentials, I was able to make over 25 outfits and I'll show you how!

I created all of the outfits from the following basics:

  • Chiffon Dress
  • Pencil Skirt
  • Black Jeans
  • Tank Top
  • Cardigan
  • Chambray Top
To versify the outfits I accessorized with:
  • Black Boots
  • Black Heels
  • Tights
  • Skinny Belt
  • Black Scarf
  • Bold Necklace
  • Pearl Necklace

Whenever I shop, I always think of the versatility of the item. I want to make sure that I'm really getting my moneys worth. If I'm able to wear the article in more than one way, it's definitely a plus. 


I love this chiffon pleated dress from Target (and Target in general) because of the fitted waist and the sleeves. I paired the dress with the neon skinny belt as an accent because it pulls out the faint neon in the fabric. This outfit is really easy to dress down with boots or dress up with a pair of heels! And just in case the weather is unpredictable, it's simple to add a scarf, tights, and boots to weather the cold or just add an accent necklace if it's a beautiful day out. I got the dress on sale for around ten dollars.


TA-DA! Just by adding a skirt, you'll get a whole new look! Another fabulous thing about this dress is that you can layer it! I paired it with this neon pencil skirt from J. Crew. The best part is, this skirt used to be around seventy-five dollars, BUT I got it for ten! I love me some sales lemme tell you! The skirt also pulls out the neon from the floral pattern of the dress. AND it has pockets. I love skirts with pockets. 


For this round of outfits, I paired the pencil skirt with a tank top and a cheetah print cardigan. I got the cardigan for six dollars at an H&M sale. Isn't it amazing how accessories can make an outfit?!


Next, I paired the pencil skirt with a chambray top. I love chambray tops because there are soo many ways to wear them! And they sell them everywhere now, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one for an inexpensive price. On the two far right pictures, I threw the cardigan on top of the chambray and got a more preppy look. 


Lastly, for a more casual look, I paired the chambray top with black jeans. Again, you'll find that these outfits can be dressy or casual. 

There are endless possibilities of outfits... and I could've gone on and on like wearing the chambray top tucked into the black jeans with the skinny neon belt accessorized with the neon necklace or the black jeans with just the black tank top and cardigan and so on and so forth.

When I was brainstorming outfit ideas, I really pictured myself in a traveling mindset because I know when I travel, I don't want to bring too much, but I want to make sure I have both dressy and casual outfits.

So a few things I hope you'll take from this post:
1. Black jeans are easy to make casual and are also an easy dressy/casual article
2. Accessories make a huge difference and can completely change the look of an outfit
3. Scarfs are practical when weather is unpredictable because its easy to throw on when it's cold, and easy to take off if it gets hot (same goes for tights)
4. Boots are always a nice replacement when you have to dress up, but know you'll be walking a lot or standing for a while.
5. Layer, layer, layer! By layering basics in various ways, you can create an endless amount of outfits :)

I hope the next time you find yourself packing for a business meeting, vacation getaway, or just shopping around, you'll find my tips helpful!

Coming up on the blog: How to be comfy and look cute at the same time (because it is possible)
Thanks for stopping by!!

1 comment: